Ich hisse Angela Bohm

I will be studying abroad in Bonn, Germany, for the next almost 6 weeks! (July 2nd-August 10th). The program is through Texas A&M University and we're all premedical field Aggies studying The History of Medicine here. As part of the program we're required to blog and I've decided to share all my blog posts on here as well so people back home can catch up if they'd like! P.S. Please excuse any typos. I'd rather be enjoying Germany than spelling checking!

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Migraines in Munich

We arrived in Munich late in the afternoon on Saturday. I had been feeling a headache come on for a while, and by the time we got to our hostel it had gotten pretty bad. It was more of a family hostel, and the children running around and screaming in the lobby did not help my pain level at all. I took a couple Advil and endured through our check in as best I could. We got to our room and I immediately changed out of my hot and sticky clothes and crawled in bed. Almost everybody was changing to already head back into Munich, but I knew I needed some rest or this was going to turn into a migraine. One other girl, Angelica, and I decided to stay and rest for a while. She woke me up about an hour later after she'd showered and was getting ready to go into town. My headache was much worse, but I got up and tried to hydrate with some more and take a shower. I was super dizzy, but tried to collect myself. After getting out of the shower I was pretty positive I was not going anywhere for the night. We had a slight problem though, Angelica was turning 21 at midnight and we had planned to take her out to dinner and out for drinks later. Everybody else was already at the City Center and I didn't want Angelica to have to go find them alone. As I slowly got dressed, I thought maybe I could just go with her and meet them for dinner then come home. I remembered the train stop was far from our hostel though, and that would mean me walking a long way home at night. I soon realized though, after I got so dizzy and sick I threw up, that there was no possible way I was making it into town for the night. Luckily, two of the girls came back to drop off the souvenirs they had bought and were able to take Angelica with them for her birthday night celebrations. I crawled back into my bed and tried to drink some more water. I could feel a full migraine about to come on and realized four reasons why this was about to suck really bad!

One: When you start to get a migraine, you want absolute darkness. Any light exposure makes you feel like you're going to die. My problem was that I was in a hostel, which did not exactly have very effective blinds. Another problem is that in Europe, the sun doesn't set until after 10 pm. I was looking at 3 more hours of light coming through the windows straight towards my headache.

Two: You want nothing but coldness. Cold rags to put on your head, cold water to drink, and cold air circulating around you. Most of Europe does not have air-conditioning or fans. They also aren't fans of ice. The only thing that cooled down the room in any way was opening the window. Which brought in more light and also led to my next problem…

Three: You want silence. Not only were we in a family hostel, with lots of kids running around and making noise right outside my window, what felt like a thousand ambulance or police horns went off while I was laying there. To help with this I made myself get up and close the window. Which in turn, made the room warmer again. There was basically no winning with that one haha.

Four: My forth problem was that I was on the top bunk. Everybody had already put their stuff on the other bunks so I was stuck with it too. Every time I had to get up to refill my water, close the window, or try and get cold water to wet a towel, I thought I was gonna fall down the ladder cause I was so dizzy. At one point I remember laying in bed wondering if the nausea was going to pass or if I needed to crawl down again to get to the bathroom if I was going to be sick again.

Luckily, laying there praying I would just fall asleep and that my splitting pain would go away was the last thing I remember before I woke up again at 1 am. Thankfully, my pain was drastically better!! It was dark by then and the noise had died down. I quickly fell back asleep and woke up again an hour later when everybody came back in from the birthday celebrations. I was so beyond thankful that it didn't get worse, even though at some points I definitely felt like I was going to die from pain! All is good now though and I'm trying to stay super hydrated so the migraines stay away! They don't have free water here though, what's up with that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment