Ich hisse Angela Bohm

I will be studying abroad in Bonn, Germany, for the next almost 6 weeks! (July 2nd-August 10th). The program is through Texas A&M University and we're all premedical field Aggies studying The History of Medicine here. As part of the program we're required to blog and I've decided to share all my blog posts on here as well so people back home can catch up if they'd like! P.S. Please excuse any typos. I'd rather be enjoying Germany than spelling checking!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sprechst sie Englisch?

Day 1- We arrived in the Frankfurt airport at 8:30 in the morning on Thursday, after leaving Wednesday afternoon and flying all night. I wish I could say I slept all night on the plane, but in reality I got about 3 hours of sleep total. When 8:30 rolled around I felt like I pulled an all nighter and still had all day to go! After meeting up with other students in the program, we gathered up all our luggage and were directed to a bus to take us to Bonn. After what seemed like a mile of me dragging my suitcase that had been damaged on the plane behind me, we finally get to where the buses were parked. I very quickly learned two things about Germany: 1. Parking lots are much more rare and you can't seem to park very close to where you're actually going. And 2. Germans don't seem to believe in air conditioning. I had dressed knowing the flight would be cooler and after dragging my suitcase all that way, getting in a hot bus wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I was happy to finally be in Germany though and tried not to care. After an almost 3 hour bus ride we arrived in Bonn. There we unloaded and again, walked many blocks with all our heavy luggage to where the AIB University is located. The first thing I saw was that they had food set out for us, and since we hadn't been fed all day we were pretty excited about it! But before we could grab some, we were whisked away into orientations and taken to meet our new host parents.

Another girl from the program, Morgan, and I had signed up to be roommates. Our host Mom is very nice and is a flight attendant so speaking to her in English isn't very challenging. We got to know each-other while she showed us around Bonn and the suburb of it that we stay in, called Bad Godesburg. The house we are staying in is much bigger than I imagined most German houses to be and we each have our own room. We had the afternoon to wander while our house Mom ran some errands and Morgan and I went into the near by town. That is an adventure for it's whole own blog post! After having dinner with our host Mom, we crashed around 8 and were just happy we had made it that long! Waking up the next morning was hard, and we felt jet lagged for the next couple days but atleast we were finally in Germany :)

No comments:

Post a Comment